Monday, January 17, 2011

the women in their lives

One thing that I've that I've begun to think about since finishing "The Return of Philip Latinowicz" is how strongly affected men are by the actions and behavior of the women in their lives. Philip has a very complex relationship with his mother and he is also deeply inspired and troubles by his relationship with Bobocka. The same goes for Balocanski, who murders Bobo. And even Kyriales had a traumatizing experience when his sweetheart was shot; he is portrayed in the novel as being overly philosophical and spiteful. I find it interesting that there is an overall lack of male dominance within the novel. At the same time, I wouldn't say that my sympathies extend one or the other--troubled men or the women who have hurt them.

No comments:

Post a Comment